Wednesday, October 5, 2011

XP Blue Screen with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I recently had a computer stop booting to Windows with the following "blue screen of death" error:


UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME


After searching the web I found a great blog post that explained a quick way to solve the problem. In my case it seems the MBR (Master Boot Record) got corrupted somehow.
  1. Start the recovery console by placing the Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and booting to the CD instead of the hard drive.
  2. When you get to the "C:" prompt type the following command and hit ENTER:
    chkdsk c: /r /p
  3. You might have to wait a while after running the command in step 2. I let the computer run overnight and when I came back in the morning I was back to the "C:" prompt. Now type the following command and hit ENTER:
    fixmbr
  4. This command ran pretty quickly so it didn't take long at all before I was ready to exit and see if it worked. Just type the following command and hit ENTER to exit the recover console:
    exit
I was able to reboot back into Windows and everything was working again. I'll update this post again if I notice anything strange but so far so good. I did notice after rebooting it ran through another "check disk" process before opening Windows. However, since that first time it ran "check disk" it hasn't done that again.

Here is the link to the original post I found that helped me solve the problem:
http://msgoodies.blogspot.com/2007/08/fixing-unmountablebootvolume-on-windows.html

No comments:

Post a Comment